Using a Butane Micro Torch to Create Copper Wire Headpins for Handmade Jewelry Part 2

As promised, here are a few picture examples of this process and how the wire should be positioned against the flame...

Please read Part 1 for 'the trick' and for safety considerations.

I've seen this process done with the flame pointed in the vertical position, upright and the wire held over the flame.  I don't  care for it as I've had that copper ball 'fall off' of the wire on a few occasions.. the concern obviously being that the molten copper will fall into the tip of your torch.  So I do this sideways, requiring that I turn the headpin once it melts, but I find it a much safer way, if you're new to melting wire.  Have fun!  Be safe!

Click each image to enlarge.

 

3 comments:

jelly andrews said...

I am glad you shared this information. But how long does it take to melt the wire? Thanks anyway for sharing this one.

IzzyGumbo said...

If you have the flame properly on the end of the wire, it happens quite fast... depending on the gauge, 3 to 5 seconds to about 10 seconds.

Thanks for asking!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this!